Feb 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

His eyes are as green as a fresh pickled toad,
His hair is as dark as a blackboard.
I wish he was mine, he's really divine,
The hero who conquered the Dark Lord. 

I logged on to post my favorite literary valentine; it shouldn't be any surprise that it was HP related.  

What did surprise me was this mini-essay written way back in 2001 (yikes!) about how we don't actually know who wrote the valentine's poem.  I always assumed it was Ginny, and I assumed everyone else assumed this too.  But it could have been anyone!  The purpose of this scene is for Harry Potter's bag to break and the diary to fall out.  Ginny then freaks out, not because of the valentine, but because she thinks Harry now knows she's the one who reopened the Chamber.  This then sets up the rest of the novel.  Could she have written the poem? Sure, but now my money's on the Weasley twins.

Oh, J.K.  You're a genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment